Welp, better late than never I guess…
Last week was crazy busy – I was in Tampa for work all week. Dang, that place was lovely. I’ve never thought about how people actually live and work in Florida. Any time I’ve been there it was for vacation so I never thought about people having the same job as me living there. I can’t imagine that year round! It was a busy week with work, but I made a point to watch the sunset over dinner a couple nights:
I mean come on, people in Tampa can see this every night?! Gorgeous.
Because I was gone during the week, we did our new cooking last weekend. The casserole was pretty good. A healthy version of the typical cheesy broccoli chicken casserole. I will say that the one that my mom made for us growing up, was better. But when trying to be healthy because busy season doesn’t allow for much time to work out, this one was a good substitute, we’ll make it again if Matt can get over the Kale…
The mini quiches aren’t new, but they’re amazing and I had to share. They’re perfect for busy season breakfasts because they freeze well and can be heated up in the microwave once I get to work! I made a double batch last weekend and forgot to take a picture until I was eating some at work one day (thus the paper plate).
Skinny Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole with Kale (recipe from here)
Makes: 6+ servings
- 1 cup basmati brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups cold water
- 5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ size pieces
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped & packed
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup milk (we used skim milk, any kind of milk should work)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp salt + a pinch
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup Colby Jack/Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- Cooking spray
- In a large pot, add rice, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 mins. Remove from heat and set aside. There will be some water left in the pot, do not drain. We need it to continue cooking rice in the oven.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Also, preheat large skillet on high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a pot with rice, along with kale and broccoli.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, garlic powder, cornstarch, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a pot with rice, chicken and veggies. Also add 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and gently mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, level with spatula and sprinkle with 2/3 cup Colby Jack/Tex Mex cheese.
- Cover with foil tightly and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Mini Zucchini Quiche
Makes: 12+ mini quiches
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 small uncooked zucchini, finely chopped (I grate mine on a box grater)
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1 cup(s) shredded parmesan cheese, about 3 oz
- 6 large egg(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat one regular size muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon egg mixture into each prepared hole, filling about ¾ of the way, making sure to stir mixture in bowl after filling each one.
- Bake until bottoms are golden brown and quiche are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Remove pan(s) from oven and let quiche cool for a few minutes in pan(s); remove quiche to a wire rack to cool more.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients if necessary.
These freeze well! Just bake, and let cool completely. Then I put them in a gallon sized ziplock bag (in a single layer) and freeze. Take two out of the freezer and leave in the fridge overnight, then pop in the microwave for 1-2 minutes in the morning and enjoy!