These bars are one of my all time favorites! My college friend Kirsten would always make them, or share the ones her mom would send in care packages and I was hooked. They had them as a dessert at my friend Hannah’s wedding and I’m embarrassed at how many I ate! After college I went through withdrawal after a few years and when I realized that I’m capable of making things myself, I just asked Kirsten for the recipe. So glad I did that, because these are SO good! We bust these out occasionally when we need a sugar high and want to feed a larger group. This weekend we brought these (along with the cowboy caviar) to our friend Stefan’s party. It’s a recipe we need to bring to a large gathering, because if left to eat it all on our own, we will go through it too soon and get severe stomach aches!
For the Bars:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light karo syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 1/2 cups Rice Krispies (we used the Trader Joe’s brand and it was fine)
For the Icing:
- 1 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- Start with a large pot (will need to hold krsipies too). Melt the sugar and syrup together.
- Stir over heat and take off heat as edged start to boil.
- Stir in the peanut butter.
- Add Rice Krispies.
- Place into a 9×13 pan (no need to grease).
- Melt chocolate chips together, stir, and frost the krispies.
- Let frosting harden before enjoying.