Life update – I started the new position at work this week. Right now I’m doing more training and learning and it’s really great. I also travelled to New York (near Westchester) today for a presentation about Investing. Every day this week I’ve had a ‘pinch me, this is now my job!’ moment. It’s great. There are some obstacles to overcome, like the fact that the new office is very different from the old one and I can’t even figure out how to print stuff right now. But the fact that I can walk outside of this office and be in downtown DC, and walk home from work outweigh that. I did walk home from work on Monday. It’s like 3.5 miles, but I’m in a step challenge and needed the steps. It gets dark really early these days…
This new recipe is another quick and easy one. Since I flew to and from New York today I needed something quick to make when I got home. It’s pretty good, and since it’s quick and doesn’t require a ton of ingredients, we’ll be adding it to our rotation for sure.
Fettuccine with Sausage & Kale
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage*, removed from casing
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for topping
- In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until al dente; drain.
- In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-low until browned, about 7 minutes. Drain fat if desired.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cream; simmer until reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil if you drained the sausage fat. If you didn’t drain the fat, no olive oil should be needed. Add cheese and mix until melted. If it doesn’t seem very sauce-like add a little more oil and parmesan.
- Add kale; toss until wilted.
- Remove from heat; toss with pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and enjoy.
*Make sure you use spicy Italian Sausage, even if you don’t think you like spicy things. It give the dish a majority of its flavor. Also, it’s not that spicy once the dish all comes together, and my tolerance for spice is very low!