A week in town means time for cooking! I printed this recipe forever ago and never got around to trying it, which really is a shame. It was pretty quick to make, a good weeknight pick. Enjoy!
Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini (recipe from here)
- 1 bag regular sized Barilla three cheese tortellini (8 oz) or 16 oz fresh tortellini in the refrigerated section of your grocery store
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fresh diced onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half (we used fat free)
- 1/2+ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Begin by boiling your tortellini noodles until they are al dente (aka ready). Follow the directions on the bag for boiling time.
- While the tortellini is boiling, chop the spinach roughly.
- Heat a large skillet using medium heat and put the about 1 Tbsp olive oil and the minced garlic and diced onion into it. Sautee it briefly until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add into the skillet the petite diced tomatoes (undrained), spinach, salt, pepper, dried basil, and onion flakes.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until the mixture begins to bubble.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and half-and-half. Whisk until fairly smooth.
- Add the creamy mixture into the the skillet along with the parmesan cheese.
- Heat through and reduce the heat to medium low and continue to stir and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained tortellini and mix together gently.
- Serve and enjoy!