Here’s the recipe I referenced in my blog post the other day. I will warn you – gouda is kind of stinky so you might not want to eat it, but it is really delicious in this salad. I was kind of skeptical at first, but this came together really nicely. One thing I would recommend that I normally wouldn’t – definitely only use 1 small garlic clove and 1/2 cup shredded gouda. I typically believe there can never be too much garlic or cheese, but this recipe requires a delicate balance and if you follow the recipe below it will be perfect.
Speaking of things I was skeptical of, if you live near a Trader Joe’s I know just how to make you the hero of our next holiday gathering. They have these fig and olive crisps and cranberry chevre. Oh boy is this stuff delicious! They were sampling it at our store tonight and I almost didn’t try it, but man is it a good thing I did, you’re welcome.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries, Apples and Gouda
- 1 lb. whole brussels sprouts, or 12-14 oz already shaved brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. shallot, finely minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup aged gouda, coarsely shredded
- 1 apple such as Pink Lady, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Trim the ends off of the brussels sprouts. In a food processor fitted with the slicing attachment, shred the brussels sprouts. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
- In a liquid measuring cup or dressing shaker, combine the lemon juice, Dijon, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. Add in the olive oil and whisk/shake until well blended.
- Add the dressing to the bowl with the brussels sprouts. Toss well, then let stand at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Add the gouda, apple, cranberries and hazelnuts to the bowl with the brussels sprout mixture. Toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve.