Where has December gone?! We’ve had a busy couple of weeks to start the month. Got back from our Bahamas Thanksgiving vacation with my family, worked a few days and then flew to Florida for Matt’s cousin’s wedding the first weekend of the month. Last week was really busy in general, we had something every night of the week. But this past weekend was a perfect mix of just what we needed. A few parties, the wreath laying at Arlington Cemetery, hanging out time, a fun run, and just a bunch quality time with several friends. Like I said, just what we needed.
Last week was so busy we didn’t have much time to try new recipes, but we did remake this one when we had some friends over for dinner on Thursday. I re-read the blog post from when we first tried it, “It did not disappoint, we will definitely be having this again!” It may have taken almost a year and a half to get back to it, but man was it good! We’ll still be making it again…hopefully before another year and a half pass.
Tonight we picked up a new recipe and boy was is good! It only takes about 30 min to cook and just hit the spot – One pan chicken and broccoli alfredo. ONE PAN. Which means cleaning up isn’t awful either. When I say one pan I’m specifically referring to this pan. It is absolutely amazing. Matt’s aunt gave it to us as a wedding gift, saying we’d use it all the time and she was not kidding!
One Pan Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo (adapted from here)
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1¼ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ a pound of penne pasta, or any bite-sized shape pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups of freshly shredded real parmesan cheese
- 2 crowns of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Start by cutting chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in olive oil over medium high heat, it does not need to be cooked through at this point, it will continue cooking as it simmers.
- Once chicken is browned, add minced garlic and saute for about one minute.
- Add chicken broth, cream, and uncooked pasta to pan and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, until pasta is almost cooked through.
- While the dish continues to simmer, stir in shredded parmesan cheese until melted and completely mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broccoli to the dish and cook 3-5 additional minutes
- Served topped with fresh minced parsley leaves, if desired.